Sunday, March 2, 2008

Castleton Tower-Moab, UT




So last September I finally got the nerve to climb "The Tower". Every September we go to Moab to meet up with friends from CO for the infamous "NWS" party and every year a group of people climb Castleton Tower. I finally got the nerve to do it! Jess's friend, Scott, was kind enough lug me up the tower with his girlfriend,Whitney and our other friend Brian.


We went up the "North Chimney", which is about 3 pitches. For those of you who know climber lingo, the rating on that route is about 5'9/5'10 with some crack climbing involved. Scott lead the climb and belayed all 3 of us up all 3 pitches. All went smooth (other than Brian being hung over and almost barfing on me) and after 5 hours we finally reached the top...absolutely AMAZING! 1400 feet in the air...I felt like I was on top of the world!


I wasn't afraid to climb up, but I was petrified to rap down. I had actually been dreading it the whole climb. By this time it was almost dark and we still had to rappel down this thing! The worst part is lowering yourself off the ledge (even though you know you are secured by a rope) with a 600 foot drop below you! Our friend, Andy, who met us at the top, calmed my fears and assured me nothing was going to happen to me after he saw me trembling. Even Scott, who has done this climb a million times, says he still gets nervous to do this rappel

Well, needless to say, I made it down and I am still alive! What an amazing experience! The 1st picture shows a shadow of the tower to the left of me.

No comments: