Friday, July 17, 2009

abigail stella johnson

Abby was born at 12:04 am on July 11th. She weighed in at 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 21 in.

I started having contractions while I was getting ready for work on Friday, July 10th. Poor Jess took ultrasound call that night so he had to run to the hospital at 2 am and then again at 5 am to scan patients. I felt so bad and did not want to wake him up as I knew he had only been asleep for an hour. But there came a point where they were 2 minutes apart and hurt like HELL! So it was off to the hospital. The nurse apparently felt really bad for me and begged the Dr. to admit me so I could have an epidural ASAP. Thank GOD for epidurals!!!!!!! I seriously have NO idea how women do this natural...more power to you women! Here is me post epidural and looking really puffy!

Poor Jess trying to get some rest.

So, I was admitted around 10 am and feeling pretty good the rest of the day. Around 8:30 pm they said it was finally time to start pushing. Here is where things pretty much started to suck. I pushed for 3 hours every 2-5 minutes. I was full on falling asleep between contractions I was so exhausted. The Dr. came in at 11:30 pm and said he was going to try forceps and if that did not work then I was to have a c-section. I pushed with all my strength because I was NOT going to have a c-section. Well, I lost.

At this point I was rushed out of the room to the operating room. It was like a movie... where you are staring at the ceiling watching the lights go by as they wheel you down the hall and then in the operating room there were people were rushing all around you. It was so surreal. Then the Dr. pinched me and asked if I could feel that. I said YES! So, the next thing I know, there is a mask over me and I am OUT. Apparently, there was no time for an epidural to kick in because the babies heart rate was falling.

I am really glad they put me out, because Jess said the baby came out crying, but then went limp and turned blue. I did not need to see that. Long story short, Abby swallowed meconium (her own poop), had respiratory problems, had to be revived, and have that poop pumped out asap.

I finally came out of surgery around 1:30 am. I don't remember much, but I know I was shaking violently for about an hour. And I remember being really nervous to take pain medication because I knew I had not eaten for a very long time and did not want to get sick. I did not even get to see Abby that night because I was so out of it.I finally got to see Abby around 10 am the next morning. She was on breathing machines. But this little girl is such a fighter and was off the machine by later that evening. She was completely off oxygen by Sunday.

She got a little jaundice and had to be put under some lights and also got an infection and had to have an IV of antibiotic for 7 days. So I was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday and she has to stay until Saturday (which is tomorrow YAY!!!)

FINALLY! The sushi I had been craving for 9 months!!! I seriously did not want to leave the hospital. I was waited on hand and foot, pumped full of drugs, and best of all close to Abby.

Grandma Hovanes. I love this picture of my mom and Abby!

So, since I was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday and Abby had to stay until Saturday, Jess and I have been running back and forth to the hospital every 2-3 hours to feed her. We have been doing this for 3 days. Absolutely exhausting. I cannot complain...there are women there whose babies are premature and do this for months. This is a pic of Abby's little NCIU area.

I just have to say all the nurses who took care of me and Abby at American Fork hospital are absolutely amazing. And a HUGE thank you to all my friends and family. I truly love all of you!


Amanda&Wade said...

I'm so happy she is ok and doing well and today is the day you bring her home!! YAY! I can't wait to meet her :) Congratulations, she is beautiful!!

Leigh and Craig said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you little family and so relieved that she is doing well and gets to go home. You are such a trooper!

Jensens said...

How scary! I'm glad all turned out well in the end. She is absolutely beautiful! Hope your recovery is going well, too. C-sections aren't great, especially emergency ones!

Lindsey S. said...

I can't wait to meet her! Yay! I'm glad everything turned out ok. I totally felt the same way about the hospital. I didn't want to leave. We had an amazing staff too. And who doesn't like being waited on?! Congrats to you guys!

Hebbs said...

Congrats on Abby's arrival! Good to hear she is doing better and everything is okay. What a little blessing!

Me in a nut shell said...

I have been out of town!@!!! Oh My LORD! I can't believe what you went through! I am so hapy for you that every thing has turned out ok now and that everyone is doing well! I hope if you need help or anything you let me know!

She is sooo adorable! I bet you are in heaven, but very sleep deprived! I am so excited for you!

teamkc said...

WOW! What a traumatizing birthing experience! What a trooper you and Jess and Abby are! Poor little baby! She is adorable, though! Congratulations! I cannot wait to meet her!